Logitech mouse problems under X windows in 386/ix

Witold Paluszynski witold at cs.washington.edu
Thu Dec 21 16:02:52 AEST 1989

I am trying to run X windows under 386/ix using a serial mouse
from Logitech (model C-9, 3 button).  I type xinit and the screen
first goes black, then returns with an error message saying that
the Logitech mouse is not responding and I should try unplugging/
replugging it.  If I kill the program and run it immediately
again, with a !! and without even touching the mouse, then X
windows come up with no further problems.  This false start
occurs every time, also when I exit X windows and then start them
again with xinit.

Although there are no problems with the mouse while in X windows
(and there really is no reason to leave them once you are in :-),
this starting glitch is irritating.  I called Interactive and
they deny any knowledge of a software problems with this mouse,
instead suggesting that it might be defective.  The mouse is
plugged into COM1 with its own interrupt 4.  Trying two different
IO boards with two different UARTs does not change the situation.

Has anyone heard of such a problem and, preferably, a cure?  The
mouse is new and could possibly be defective, although works fine
with everything else I tried.  I couldn't borrow this specific
kind of mouse to swap-test it.

Thanks,
Witold