Taking risks on software (ISC)

Liam R. E. Quin lee at sq.sq.com
Sun Dec 10 08:05:47 AEST 1989

akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>Mine too.  I used to accidentally kick the plug out all the time and
>>it'd happily reboot and rebuild the free list.  Never lost a file.
>>This was with 2.0.2.
>
>Maybe I should re-try 2.02?  How is your machine handling high speed
>serial IO with bi-directional communications?

Ours is fine.  We tried a number of serial boards, including digicom's
digiboard (8 & 16), computone's intelliport (8 & 16), chase (8),
corollary (8-64), and a number of others.
Ths digiboard seems to me the best of the ones we tried, although if
the Specialix boards had worked in our (Acer) machine and if the supplier
(not Specialix) had been mor helpful, things might have been different.

If you are using a board (I know this ought to be obvious) make sure that
the serial ports provided have enough lines to do proper modem flow control.
The corollary 8x8, for example, does not, although it is otherwise excellent.

Finally, one problem we had was that many versions of System V, including
386/ix 1.0.6, don't always drop DTR when you close a port.  You have to
open the port and close it again (sometimes several times) before it
will do so.  The same problem exists on Bull XPS100 machines.

Uucp from the built-in ports, and also from the modem-control digiboard
ports, seemed fine to me.

Hope this helps.  I'll be happy to be more specific about why we chose
those particular serial ports by mail.

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee at sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)