write error on 2nd tape - using Archive VP60e

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Sun Dec 24 07:56:08 AEST 1989

In article <8912230518.AA05930 at decwrl.dec.com>, paine at fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> I have Interactive 386/ix v2.0.2 and Archive VP 60e tape drive using
> D600 cartridge (60meg).  I have no problem installing and running tape
> only in first time.  After at the end of tape, the message displays to
> insert another volume of tape and press y to continue.  It is always

> I can use five tapes in single full backup but I can not do more than
> one tape in one backup.
>
> Can you please help me with setting up Archive tape so I can do more
> than one tape in single backup?

cpio should work with tapes just like it does with disks, try this:

find whateverdir -print|cpio -o -O /dev/rmt0 [or whatever device]

The -O tells cpio to simply request the next volume.  I don't know if it
works with tapes.  Nothing in the manual to indicate that it won't.

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |