Still Waiting for Inode fixes, ZZZZZZZZ

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Fri Dec 8 03:28:56 AEST 1989

In article <257cf96c:240.6comp.unix.i386;1 at nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Let's be nice now - I've based my information on what I heard
>when I called ISC technical support - and I was told that under System V
>the inode allocation could not be changed.  Under SCO, using the manual I
>changed the number of inodes using mkfs.   I was just relaying information
>that I received from the folks who did the port.

Good Grief!!! Here you are spending all your time and effort bashing ISC
and now we are supposed to believe you are a reliable vehicle to relay
what their technical support team has to say! Give us a break.

I think personally that what is going on here is probably a misunderstanding
on what was being said. I don't believe that ISC support would assert that
there is no way to control how many inodes a filesystem has using an
explicit number in the mkfs command. What they may have meant is that
once you have a filesystem made with x inodes there is no way to change
that number (you could diddle with the superblock using fsdb, but I don't
think the filesystem integrity would be maintained) short of recreating
it using mkfs again.

In fact, I wondered if the original poster actually was experiencing the
inode bug that a previous poster alluded to, or if he just actually ran
out of inodes and thought that this was a bug.

Disclaimer: My opinions only!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu