How do I measure the 386/ix paging rate?

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Thu Sep 21 00:17:33 AEST 1989

My 386/ix box running 2.0.2 is doing a lot of disk I/O these days, and I
think it is paging too much.  Before I shell out 500 bucks to get more
memory, it would be nice to know for sure.  Is there any way to find out
what the paging rate actually is?

For that matter, what sort of paging algorithm does it use?  Performance
seems to have gotten worse since I installed NFS.  I have the usual bunch of
nfs daemon processes, but since there are no active clients I'd hope they'd
get swapped out.  Or do I hope too much?
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine at YALE.edu