Xenix vs. Unix?

Fred Rump from home fr at icdi10.UUCP
Thu Sep 7 23:51:17 AEST 1989

In article <94 at nstar.UUCP> root at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
->Nope (and yes).  Format of 1/4 inch tapes is on the 386/ix
->menu - but doesn't work and advises the user that his tapes
->are defective and should be replaced with a new one..
->
->After doing futher research - the scripts are defective - and
->if one does a raw copy using cpio and piping the output to the
->tape all is well.
->
->Another 386/ix glitch.  I am finding more of them as time
->goes by.

Following your saga of switching from SCO to Interactive one gets the feeling
that you jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Others have reported that 386/ix seems fine for hackers but not yet ready for
prime time commercial use. We used to hear similar sentiments about that other
Unix systems vendor.

With all the glitches and problems would a Larry Snyder sell his ix systems
(let's assume you're a VAR for a moment) all over the USA and be able to
support them without following the chapter 11 route?

The real question: would a VAR have the fortitude to switch rather than fight
a little with SCO?

It seems that customer support is the big question mark that we live or die
by.  To quote some anonymous fairy:  "A bird in hand is worth two in the
bush."

Further reports will be eagerly absorbed.
fr
--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr