386/ix and SCSI tape works

Petri Alhola petri at digiw.UUCP
Sat Sep 30 01:01:35 AEST 1989

After many days research work, i have got 386/ix 2.0.2 and
adaptec 1540 SCSI controller to work with archive viper 150 Mbyte
scsi streamer tape. I have found following things to be done before
i got it working. I have also got archive QIC streamer working with
asrhive drivers for archive409 controller board.

1 - SCSI parity in 1540 Parity is enabled as default and in archive
	it is disabled as default. i disabled parity in 1540

2 - SCSI address of arcvhive. 1540 does not regonize archive in all
	addresses . I got it working with SCSI address 2.

3 - The major number of /dev/tape was wrong. The /dev/tape major number was
 	not generated by the kconfig script becouse there was not file
	in /etc/conf/node.d for tape and so major number for tape was
	21 . In /etc/cond/cf.d/mdevive file it was 41. So it needed to make
	new /dev/tape file for right major number.

For testing streamer the rom BIOS utility was usefull, becouse
there was not any diagnostic utilities in 386/ix. And i even does not
found any ioctls to test scsi devices. Using BIOS utility you can
check that the 1540 founds streamer tape before you try use it with unix.

Petri Alhola
petri at digiw.fi