uugetty woes fixed (was: com2 under 386/ix)

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.UUCP
Fri Sep 8 14:22:39 AEST 1989

In article <103 at dumbcat.UUCP> I wrote:
> Also, I've had problems
> depending upon the order the lines are given.  What works (with 386/ix
> 2.0.2) is:
>
> asy	Y	2	7	1	4	3f8	3ff	0	0
> asy	Y	2	7	1	3	2f8	2ff	0	0

Conjecture: The first asy is tty00 and the second is tty01.  Reverse the
lines and the modem that was on tty00 doesn't respont to commands to tty01.

> Every so often the message
>
> INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly....
> id:  00 "/usr/lib/uugetty ...
>
> shows up on the console.  I don't know what triggers it yet as it seems to
> show up without any activity on the serial port.

Fixed: I had a second set of lines in /etc/inittab for 00 and 01 (in addtion
to the line I added for the uugetty on ttyd0.  (They were added by the 2.0.2
upgrade).  Since removing the extra set of init instructions and doing a
kill -1 1 all UUCP problems have gone away.  The same port is being used for
both Dial-in and Dial-out without any problems.  (But the driver is slow and
you will drop characters at 9600 bps).

It IS possible to run bi-directional ports with uugetty on 386/ix.  But it
could have been a lot easier with a few helpful hints in the documentation.

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman
// ...!pacbell!dumbcat!marc