SCO's hacks to tar and compress

Roger Cornelius rac at sherpa.UUCP
Fri Aug 24 11:22:05 AEST 1990

>From article <15784 at bfmny0.BFM.COM>, by tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff):
> In article <307 at sherpa.UUCP> rac at sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) writes:
>>The extraction phase somehow senses the files are compressed
>
> The standard way to do this is to check for
>
> 	0x1f 0x9d
>
> at the start of file.  Dump some .Z's some time...

I have.  The third byte into the file will also tell you if it was
compressed with 12, 13, ..., 16 bits.  The point of the article was
not how to read the compress program's magic numbers, it was that SCO
has hacked tar and compress without bothering to document the changes.

--
Roger A. Cornelius          rac at sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac