SCO Unix 3.2 version 2.0 upgrade?

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Wed Aug 15 10:19:15 AEST 1990

In article <8645 at scorn.sco.COM> rogerk at sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:
>In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608 at msuws2.fed.frb.gov> m1jjh00 at fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>>In the latest issue of PC Week I see a blurb saying that SCO is now
>>shipping a new version of its Unix,  SCO SV/386 3.2 version 2.0, which
>>"runs faster, supports extended memory and" easier security mgmt.
>>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>>extended memory a DOS concept?
>
>This is not the same as the DOS stuff. What this means is that,
>for machines that will handle it, SCO Unix 3.2 v2 will see and
>use memory in excess of 16MB.
>Roger Knopf  SCO Consulting Services

Uh, hate to nitpick, but every use I've seen of the term "extended
memory" in my *life* has referred strictly to directly-addressable
memory above 1 MB (on '286 and higher).

Do you, by the above statement, mean to say that the first cut of
SCO UNIX 3.2 would not utilize memory above 16 MB?  What would
happen in such a configuration -- would it be ignored? would it
cause problems?

In the new 2.0 release, how do you handle DMA between addresses
above 16MB on an ISA bus machine?

Thanks in advance.

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."