Wildcards don't work on NFS mounted file system

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Tue Aug 7 04:21:50 AEST 1990

In article <LARRY.90Aug2091559 at focsys.uucp> you write:
>Is this an Interactive bug? Or is it a bug in the MIPS fileserver?

>Even emacs file name completion does not work. What a royal pain that
>is!

It's a bug in the client-side application software.  I expect you are
using csh rather than sh.  Programs that use the directory library with
opendir() and readdir() work with files over NFS, those that use the
traditional Sys V approach of opening the directory and reading 16-byte
chunks only work over NFS if the remote system happens to use Sys V
directory formats.  Interactive fixed sh for 2.0.2, but missed a bunch of
other programs.

If emacs has problems, you can probably fix it in a few minutes by finding
the place that it reads the directory and making it use opendir()
and readdir().

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl