Graphic characters in Norton Utilities SYS-V

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Thu Jul 26 11:18:52 AEST 1990

In article <175 at hafro.is> heimir at hafro.is (Heimir Sverrisson) writes:
>The programs seem to assume that all terminals have the line drawing
>characters of the infamous IBM Code Page 437 :-(

In the current version of the Utilities, if a full-screen program sees that
it's running on a mappable screen, it goes into a special high-performance
mode that writes directly to the screen and has the line-drawing characters
hard-coded in.  For people not using code page 437, this can produce some
rather peculiar looking screens.  It's a limitation of the current product
that we expect to fix in a future version.

In the meantime, you might try the "-term" flag which tells it to run through
terminfo and curses even though it's on the console, and give it a terminfo
entry that better reflects your screen characters.  It's not quite as fast as
direct writes, but might look nicer.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl