Help needed with ISC 2.2 installation.

Todd Ogasawara todd at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Sun Jul 22 05:25:14 AEST 1990

In article <860 at augean.ua.OZ.AU> gvokalek at augean.ua.OZ.AU (George Vokalek) writes:
>I am having a really nasty time installing ISC version 2.2 on
>my machine, and I hope some of you may be able to help.

[... install halts after screen color menu ...]
/* no ideas about this major problem from me */

>Another complaint:  ISC Operating System Manual / Installation
>Procedures / Page 8 says that the user should make a backup
>of the INSTALL floppy using DOS diskcopy.  Unfortunately, DOS
>diskcopy will not read the disk, and reports each track as
>unreadable (the same is true of the BOOT diskette, which you
>are also told to backup).

I ran into the same thing yesterday before starting to install my copy of
ISC UNIX 2.2. I tried to use MS-DOS 3.3 from Acer on my Acer 1100/25 to
make a backup copy of the boot and install disks from Interactive. DISKCOPY
barfed both times.

So, I went to my trusty PC Tools Deluxe 6.0 (Central Point Software, every
M(es)S-DOS user should have a copy! [standard disclaimer, I'm just a
satisfied customer]). PC Tools' diskcopy option copied both disks fine. I
used these backup disks to perform my boot and install. One notable item.
The install disk is an odd-ball format disk with 76 formatted/readable
tracks (80 is the norm for 1.2M 5.25" floppies). PC Tools noted the problem
but copied the disk anyway and then presented a warning on my screen. The
copied disk worked fine for my install though... ISC needs to have some
people go through their manuals and check for these and other inaccuracies
I've seen in their 2.2 manuals....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd