Trouble installing ISC 2.2 with multiple SCSI drives.

John G. DeArmond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 14:36:11 AEST 1990

pdg at chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) writes:

>Well, I was trying to install Interactive Unix 2.2 on my system,
>and ran into a problem.  I hooked up a new SCSI drive as the boot
>drive (SCSI ID 0) and had my old drive as ID 1 (tape is ID 2).
>The cable I am using is a 4 connector SCSI 50 pin internal
>cable going from the host adaptor to drive 0 to drive 1 which
>is properly terminated.  The tape is on another (external) bus.
>Anyway, the host adaptor (Adaptec 1542A) hangs on one of the first
>disk accesses.

I hate to ask an obvious question but have you determined that your
terminators are configured correctly?  Specifically, terminators
installed on each physical end of the bus and NONE anywhere else?
While you can be loosy-goosy with terminators on ST-506 drives, an
extra terminator will absolutely kill the bus.

If the answer to the above question is "I'm not sure", then be sure
to check the pico-fuse on the Adaptec board.  This fuse protects the
termination supply and generally gets zapped when extra terminators
are in place.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply