SCO UNIX - intermittent login problem

Georg Nikodym gsn at sclcig.uucp
Mon Jul 9 15:04:12 AEST 1990

In article <96 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>Though I've had the UNIX component of Open Desktop installed for about
>four months, in the last week I've twice encountered the following problem:
>
>I try to login, but instead of seeing the password prompt, I see:
>
>	Cannot obtain database information on this terminal
>
>... and another login prompt. ALL virtual terminals, plus the dial-in port
>are affected, and it affects both root and non-root users. The only
>solution is to reset the system, after which all is copacetic. Ideas?

Yup, I've seen this too, just running SCO UNIX.  According to SCO's
support people this is because the authorization database(s) get FUed.
This is a bug, and they know about it.  Until they fix it though, we'll
all just have to reboot...
| Georg S. Nikodym  -  (416) 442-2238                                       |
| Southam Business Information and Communications Group, Don Mills, Ontario |
| gsn at sclcig.UUCP -or- ...!uunet!attcan!telly!moore!sclcig!gsn              |
| "The floggings will continue until morale improves" -Jose Castel-Branco   |