Questions About ESIX

Scott E. Garfinkle segpc!seg at vicom.com
Mon Jul 30 02:37:05 AEST 1990

>From article <1510 at ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, by ian at ssc-vax.UUCP (Ian R. Searle):

> For the ESIX 2-user system.
> 1.) I have heard it comes with X11R3, does this include X-lib and
> the Xt-intrinsics so that I could do developement work.
Yes, plus the other libs from the X11r3 distribution (e.g. Xaw).  They
should also have Motif available as a $300 (more or less) add-on by
now, if you are so inclined.

> 2.) What flavor window manager and widget sets come with the system.
It comes with the stuff you get on the MIT tape -- twm, uwm, and Xaw.
It took me very little time to bring up gwm here.

> 3.) Does the X-server support the ATI VGA wonder graphics card with
> a NEC-3D (256k memory, no biult in mouse, the mouse will be a MS
> serial mouse).
NEC-3d and mouse, yes.  ATI Card at 640x480 definitely, at 800x600 I think
so, and at 1024x768 I think not.

> 4.) How good are the supplied C compiler and libraries. COFF
> format?
They're pretty much the same as everyone else's -- they all come from AT&T.
You may want gcc.

> 5.) Does the OS support DOS partitions on the same hard disk.
Yes, I have one.

> 6.) Does the OS come with utilities to copy files from/to the
> DOS/UNIX partitions.
Yes, but it doesn't seem to work well with DOS 4.01 partitions (even
ones under 32mb).

> 7.) Does the system come with on-line man pages.
No.  Not available.  Too bad!

> 8.) I have heard many ggod things about their phone support. Can you
> really talk to someone without sitting on hold for an hour??
Absolutely.  I almost never get put on hold.  The longest I have *ever*
been on hold there was a minute or two.  They are also available via
a BBS and usenet mail.  I think that their support is terrific.

> Thanks in advance.
You're welcome.

	-Scott E. Garfinkle