Interactive 2.2 problems

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 20:11:41 AEST 1990

In article <382 at denwa.uucp>, jimmy at denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

> I have been working with 2.2 for a few days now, and I'm starting to
> wonder if we should have bothered upgrading.  Some of the problems
> listed below have been mentioned by others.  I repeat them for
> completeness.
 [ HPDD stuff ]

> * I told mailmgmt that we have both TCP/IP and UUCP connections and
>   that I want to use smail, but only if an address ends in .UUCP does
>   it send it to smail.  Otherwise, it fails with a name look-up error.
>   Did someone at Interactive think that all UUCP addresses end in
>   .UUCP?  I'm not a sendmail guru so I don't know how to fix this.
>
> *  When local mail is sent, 'rmail -i username' is invoked.  The mail
>    is properly delivered but the process never dies, so ps shows tons
>    of 'rmail's lying around.

My problem is similiar but it is sendmail that won't die.

> *  Slowness.  The system seems to be noticably slower than 2.0.2 and
>    this bothers me.  Commands that used to pop something onto the
>    screen immediately now pause for a second or two before doing
>    anything.  Also noticably slower is video output.  We have a
>    hercules adapter and whereas before when I was using 'more' or 'pg'
>    the next page would almost just appear in a very fast smooth scroll,
>    the screen now jerks as it scrolls a line at a time.  I was hoping
>    this was just my imagination, but I now have our 2.2 machine right
>    next to a 2.0.2 machine, and I now know I'm not going crazy.

Your not crazy!  I see it too.  The only thing that seems "better" is
that TCP seems to work now.

It *really* pi---- me off when I called to ask about these things and
learned of the "support" policy.  I am seriously looking at ESIX like
never before!

Tim Brown
{}!nstar!comcon!tim