ISC nfs crashes sun 4.03?

Roger Fujii rmf at media.uucp
Wed Jul 25 15:14:49 AEST 1990

DeadHead at cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:

>The NFS on my unix i386 (2.0.2) seems to crash my sparc station from time
>to time.

>When the sparc (sun os 4.03) mounts a partition from the 386 box, once
>in a while the console would complain "rfs: attempt to read from non-file".

he he...

>And about every few weeks my entire screen would all of a sudden be filled
>with messages like that, and the only way to stop it is to halt the
>sparc with L1-A.

better yet, reboot the 386.

>It doesnt happen when the 386 box mounts a sparc partition.

This is because the SUN knows better....

>Has anybody seen the same prlblem? I wonder if it has been reported to ISC
>or Sun, or if I should file a bug report at both companies. (I never did
>find out what "attempt to read from non-file" actually means").

This is a bug with most likely the C-shell.  You get that horrid message
when you try to open via nfs a directory like a file (instead of the
dirent method).  If I remember correctly, you can duplicate this if you
put an NFS directory in you path.  Solution:  Don't do that!  (or use
bsh...)
--
Roger Fujii - Media Cybernetics		Phone: (301)495-3305
Internet: rmf%media at uunet.uu.net 	UUCP: {uunet,hqda-ai}!media!rmf