Cannot umount /usr filesystem (ALWAYS "busy")

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Sat Jun 30 05:09:34 AEST 1990

In article <248 at harper.UUCP> brad at harper.UUCP (Brad Cleghorn) writes:
>I have found that if my home dir is in /usr, and I'm logged in, (no
>matter *what* my pwd is) /usr won't umount -- Even if I'm su.  I had
>to log in on the console port as root.

Yes, any logged-in users' home directory is considered "open", and the
filesystem is therefore busy. This applies to daemon processes as well,
like "lp", "cron", and "uucp". If you have any of those running, /usr
will refuse to umount for the same reason.

Create a file structure /u, add a userid into it, and log in under it.
Then try to umount it, even as root--it won't. You can umount /usr as
root because roots' home directory is "/", so /usr doesn't have any
"open" files or directories.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)