want PST clock not EST in ix/386

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Mar 12 09:19:37 AEST 1990

In article <21 at usaos.UUCP> root at usaos.UUCP (Warren Calhoun) writes:
>In article <9003092109.AA09255 at decwrl.dec.com>, paine at fungus.enet.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>>	[question of how to get timezone correct for non-logins deleted]

>As I also run 386/ix, I stopped to do a quick check for you.  When your
>system boots, there should be a line in /etc/inittabs invoking bcheckrc.
>The file /etc/bcheckrc should (among other things) contain the line;
>
>	. /etc/TIMEZONE
>
>...which should contain the lines;
>
>	TZ=EST5EDT (in my case)
>	export TZ
>
>This would alleviate the necessity for any other use of a TZ= line.  It

Placing the TZ stuff into the /etc/TIMEZONE file does in fact solve the
problem, but it is not because the /etc/bcheckrc file reads the file.  It
is because /etc/init reads the file and processes (places into its
environment) all the VAR=junk lines.  You could almost say that /etc/TIMEZONE
acts as an 'rc' file for init.

/etc/bcheckrc is just a shell run by init (because of an entry in /etc/inittab)
when entering multi-user mode (leaving single user mode).  Any environment
variables set or changed there will have no effect on the environment
for any other program.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170