Info req. for Seagate ST296N SCSI Drive

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at aber-cs.UUCP
Fri Mar 30 01:14:21 AEST 1990

In article <1626 at watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh at watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:

  I have a Seagate ST296N SCSI drive, along with the ST02 adapter. (When
  you power-up, it say "SCSI Host Adapter 2.00") What I want to know
  is if ANYONE is successfully running some form of Unix with this
  drive.

The ST02/ST01 are very simplified SCSI drivers that are usually bundled with
entry level Seagate drives. They are dirt cheap, but their simplificity
involves a lot of device driver work. There esists a Unix/386 driver for
them, done by some Finnish chap. I dunno whether any commercial Unix has
ready made drivers for the ST01/ST02.

>From the tone of your query, I understand that you are not really into
device drivers; you may be better off using a well supported SCSI host
adapter like the AHA1542 from Adaptec....

  One more question, if you are using this drive, but not the ST02 adapter,
  what adapter are you using?

... which is known good with the ST296N. It is also very fast, especially
in requiring low overhead on the OS, and it supported by virtually all 386
Unixes out there. It is expensive, but if you plan to add a tape unit, it
saves you the expense of a tape controller.

  Please help me out with any info. I'd rather not call Seagate technical
  support back and wait for another half an hour.

The cost to the net of your message and this reply is probably a few thousand
dollars. I am responding only because the reply may be useful to the other
suckers that are paying to carry your query... :-)
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk