Open Desktop on 386/ix planned ?

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Fri Mar 30 03:08:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar29.044535.15849 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
 srg at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) writes:
- In article <2209.2610e52c at cc.helsinki.fi> stickler at cc.helsinki.fi writes:
- >> ........I know they've got a DOS emulator
- >> (VP/ix?) [why anyone would want this is left as a puzzle for the reader].
- >
- >The DOS emulator is NOT VP/ix, but Merge 386 and it is
- >much much much better than VP/ix. [...] A very solid and amazing peice of
- >software.
-
- I'm not absolutely sure BUT ...
- I just spoke to Interactive today and they said it's VP/ix.

        Interactives DOS emulator is called VP/ix.  Locus' DOS emulator
is called DOSMerge.  Open Desktop by SCO is going to ship DOSMerge,
since it can properly live within an X window.  SCO currently ships
VP/ix to run on Xenix/386.

        I too have found DOSMerge (an old version 1.1.3, I believe, on
Microport/386) to be much better than VP/ix, especially as a command
line environment for DOS development.
Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoeb at convex.com
	... Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in
		terror, and you would not have been informed.