pwd: read error in ..

Dr. Scump aland at infmx.UUCP
Wed Mar 14 16:38:20 AEST 1990

In article <480 at peyote.cactus.org> teb at peyote.cactus.org (Thomas E. Bernhard) writes:
>I'm experiencing trouble with mounted file systems from Interactive I386.
>Using Interactive NFS, I have a Sun 3/80 (SunOS 4.01) file system mounted.
>Anytime I do a pwd on a subdirectory of this mounted volume I get:
>	pwd: read error in ..
>
>I've check the permissions of the directory and I can't seem to account for
>the problem. Is this a configuration problem? or Is this a bug? If it
>is a configuration problem can anyone help me?
>
>Many Thanks in advance...
>Thomas Bernhard

I've seen this before when the local and remote machines were both Suns
when the permissions on the mount point were too restrictive.  Try
umount-ing the NFS file system and check the permissions on the
directory that you are mounting to.  If they are less than 777,
try chmod-ing to 777 and re-mount the NFS filesystem and see what
happens.

Also, how "friendly" do the systems consider each other (e.g.
hosts.equiv) ?

--
Alan S. Denney # Informix # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 CAUTION: Objects in terminal are closer than they appear...

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."