Files > 4MB

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Fri Nov 16 11:54:28 AEST 1990

garyf at ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:

>In article <1990Nov11.225759.866 at ceres.physics.uiowa.edu>
>vvawh at convx1.lerc.nasa.gov (Tony Hackenberg) writes:
>>     I think Amdahl's UTS2.1 will also have this ability.

>Isn't it true that now that systems such as UTS, Unicos, etc. have the
>ability to have LOCAL files >4MB, NFS files are a problem.  For instance,
>it is feasible (I believe) to have a file which is, let's say, 15GB
>(easily on a 12 wide stripe of 1.5 GB disks).  Anyway, isn't it true that
>NFS will not support reading past a certain byte of said file??

what a coincidence: i read today, that UTS 2.1 allows files as big
as 6 TB (that TeraByte). *without* loosing in the compatibility issue.

i wonder how they accomplish that. there must be some problems left
like an old application doing a stat() on a 1TB file etc.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: