Files > 4MB

Patrick F. McGehearty patrick at convex.COM
Fri Nov 16 01:50:14 AEST 1990

In article <5epo02S6e6i501 at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> littauer at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) writes:
>Yes, it's true. Until Sun defines the architectural change, us vendors of
>big face the ugly choice between limits on NFS file size and non-standard
>implementations.

I agree.  Increasing the NFS file size limits requires either Sun to
extend its architecture or for several "large system" vendors to get
together and agree on a "large-file" extension.  I would prefer Sun
to bless any architecture extension to reduce the likelihood of
varying (and buggy) implementations.  However, large system vendors do not
have a lot of influence with Sun (small unit volumes, lower fees) as
compared to low-unit-cost-high-volume customers.  If users who had both
workstations and large systems started requesting large-file support
in NFS, maybe it would get more attention.

- Patrick McGehearty

Disclaimer: The above is my personal opinion and does not represent
the policies of Convex Computer Corporation.