Questions in Large Installation System Administration

Bernd Felsche bernie at metapro.DIALix.oz.au
Thu Feb 14 16:14:46 AEST 1991

In <1991Feb07.190832.26048 at ariel.unm.edu> dmckeon at hydra.unm.edu (Denis McKeon) writes:

>Of course you can enrich the password character mix by doing things like:

>    1Bs-Iw!	One Bell system - It works!

There are pnemonics using digits and alphabetics, like:
	0b1ken0b	For Star Trek fans
	4getful		For those who can't remember

And other possible combinations of digits which sound like sylables
0,1,2,4,8 and for New Zealanders, 6. (try 6ul-dv8 with an NZer)

Use your imagination! Passwords like these are difficult to guess, and
are often not obvious, even when written down.

It would be extremely difficult to mechanically crack them as well,
though not impossible.  Generating them would be almost as difficult.

One of the best approaches with maintaining good passwords for users
is to try to crack the yourself (at off-peak times), using personal
data for users. If you crack one, I reckon they should pay you $20. If
they forget theirs, it should cost them $5 to get a new one assigned.

--
 _--_|\  Bernd Felsche         #include <std/disclaimer.h>
/      \ Metapro Systems, 328 Albany Highway, Victoria Park,  Western Australia