VGA with Microport?

William Miskovetz misko at abhg.UUCP
Sat Apr 2 08:17:05 AEST 1988

In article <326 at uport.UUCP>, jmsully at uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:

> We do not support VGA cards at the present time.  It may have been a mis-
> understanding, since our console driver does work fine with the IBM EGA card
> and V's and E's can sound alike on the phone.

I'm sorry, but I have to differ here.  I have an AST Premium 286 running
System V/AT Rel. 2.3 and DOS Merge 286.  I installed an IBM (real big blue)
EGA card (replacing an MGA card) and I could not get UNIX to boot.  DOS
came up just fine.  I called the Microport support line and first they
tried to tell me I must not have an IBM EGA, and then they said that it must
not work.  What's the real answer??  Is it that an EGA will work but not
with DOS Merge (which is a rumor I have heard)?  Is there anyone out there
with a setup similar to mine who has an EGA working??  Thanks.  Note that the
EGA works just fine as I tested it running just DOS.

Bill Miskovetz
uunet!lll-winken!abhg!misko