uPort 386

Steven C. Neighorn neighorn at catlabs.UUCP
Sun Apr 17 08:37:31 AEST 1988

In article <7602 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ewv at violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) writes:
>In article <929 at xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer at XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>>1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
>No, the supplied compiler cannot produces 286 executables. The system does
>seem to be able to run COFF 286 executables.

With the following expections from my 'running 286 binaries on V/386' days:

1) Unify's Microport 286 version of Accell (The development environment). Most
of the RDBMS stuff worked Ok, but trying anything fancy with Accell resulted
in a 500k(!) core file.

2) A ported version of Sendmail 5.51. "ioctl" problems here, and the venerable
'not a typewriter' error we have all grown to love and cherish.

3) The Dataflex DB compiler. The rest of Dataflex works fine, but we have to
keep a uport 286 system hanging around to compile new Dataflex stuff.

#1 and #2 were fixed by getting a new version/recompiling. #3 is still a sore
spot.
--
Steven C. Neighorn    ...!tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!catlabs!neighorn
Portland Public Schools     "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the