Is uPort/286 worth the trouble?

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 11:24:20 AEST 1988

>From article <7030004 at hpindda.HP.COM>, by vandys at hpindda.UUCP:
> It works fine for a single-user system.  [...]
> [...] However, for your run-of-the-mill
> UNIX work, it really is System-V.2, and I appreciate that quite a bit.

>     Reading this group gives you the impression that everybody's
> always having their system crash.  Don't forget, people who aren't
> having a problem usually don't post!  I've found it to be a quite
> reasonable UNIX environment for my own work.

As one of the more vociferous of the squeaky wheels, I felt I
should second this comment.

As long as you don't push it, it works great.  One modem, one
drive, one user, it works very well, and its real unix.

(until it breaks)

For an individual on a budget with typical hackerly or text
processing requirements Mircoport V/AT is recommended.  It
is sad that I can't also recommend it for serious use, but
them's the breaks.
--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be