Smart getty

Andy Johnson ajohnson at killer.UUCP
Thu Feb 18 14:58:39 AEST 1988

First of all,  I am very glad that this newsgroup has become unmoderated as
I got tired of writing messages, just to have them returned to me as
undelivered (to the moderator.)

I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to creating a front
end to getty to be able to use the return code from a Hayes compatible
modem to setup the baud rate of the port?

I run a BBS and most users have no trouble logging into the system at
either 300 or 1200 baud. (getty manages to interpret cr's as "breaks"
at those speeds.)  The real problem is that to cycle to 2400 baud, you
DO have to use a break character.  Some of the users are too stupid
(or their terminal emulators don't have a break character.)

Has anyone come across anything like this?

I tried a while back to play with this, but was thwarted by the fact
that a different getty would need to be created because of the funny
stuff they do to the getty for their limited/unlimited scheme.

Mail would be great; if there is enough response or interest, post
here or mail me and I will summarize.