Smart getty

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Fri Feb 19 00:15:35 AEST 1988

In article <3383 at killer.UUCP> ajohnson at killer.UUCP (Andy Johnson) writes:
 >I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to creating a front
 >end to getty to be able to use the return code from a Hayes compatible
 >modem to setup the baud rate of the port?
 >I tried a while back to play with this, but was thwarted by the fact
 >that a different getty would need to be created because of the funny
 >stuff they do to the getty for their limited/unlimited scheme.

In my experience with V/AT 2.3, it will work fine with foreign gettys as long
as you have the unlimited version, and as long as you leave the original
getty on the console.

I have used both uutty (posted a while back to this group), cgetty (available
from the PD area of uport's bbs), and uugetty (available in binary form from
the support286 area of uport's bbs, part of the HDB package).

In fact, the only time the system rejects a foreign getty on the console is
during a reboot. At other times it works just fine.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp