Smart getty

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.UUCP
Mon Feb 22 13:30:17 AEST 1988

In article <3383 at killer.UUCP> ajohnson at killer.UUCP (Andy Johnson) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to creating a front
>end to getty to be able to use the return code from a Hayes compatible
>modem to setup the baud rate of the port?

That's not going to be reliable, and is a problem as well with dial in/out
lines (CD must be high to receive if you're using Modem control, but it
isn't with SOME modems until AFTER they send the result code.  Gack).

>I run a BBS and most users have no trouble logging into the system at
>either 300 or 1200 baud. (getty manages to interpret cr's as "breaks"
>at those speeds.)  The real problem is that to cycle to 2400 baud, you
>DO have to use a break character.  Some of the users are too stupid
>(or their terminal emulators don't have a break character.)
>
>Has anyone come across anything like this?

Yep -- and we fixed it.  The solution is a replacement getty, as you might
guess.  Once installed, the caller hits <return> and the system determines
the baud rate.  The current version requires only one <return> to do this
unless you have a Trailblazer, in which case it might require 2 <returns>

>I tried a while back to play with this, but was thwarted by the fact
>that a different getty would need to be created because of the funny
>stuff they do to the getty for their limited/unlimited scheme.

We've resolved this problem ;-)

The autobauder comes with all Microport products we ship, no extra charge.

-----
Karl Denninger		       |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl	       | "Quality solutions for work or play"