386/ix: cpio to floppy panics kernel

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.UUCP
Sat Oct 1 23:19:19 AEST 1988

I'm running Interactive's 386/ix on a Dell 310.  On the whole it all works
just fine, but there's one showstopper of a bug:  using cpio to back up
the disk to floppies panics the kernel with a memory parity (NMI) trap!

Now, I don't really suspect the memory since everything else works fine.
Strangely, I can format and mount floppies, and read and write to them all
day, without a panic.  It seems to be only writing (not reading) to the raw
floppy device rather than the block device that panics the kernel.

Interactive say they can't reproduce the problem, but they also haven't got
a Dell 310 to try it on.  Is anyone out there successfully running 386/ix
on a Dell 310?  Has anyone on any kind of machine ever had this problem?
Although the system works on the whole, I'm getting a bit nervous, because
I can't do backups...  I can feel Murphy breathing down my neck...