Pity the poor 286 folk

Steve Neighorn neighorn at qiclab.UUCP
Sun Oct 2 07:09:04 AEST 1988

In article <1988Sep23.152733.6249 at intacc.uucp> mann at intacc.UUCP (Jeff Mann) writes:

>I want a tape backup.  I'm *real* sick of swapping 50+ floppies around, but
>I sure as hell can't afford $2000.00 (Canadian) for the ONLY drive supported.
>That's more than my whole system is worth!   And what about SCSI??????

We are all sick of 50+ floppies, which is why lots of people have tape
drives. Microport sells an Everex tape driver package for $100. You
purchase this package, get a Wangtek 60meg tape drive, an Everex
EVA831 tape controller card, and a cable. Total cost from mailorder
houses, about $500 for the hardware. So for $600 total, you can have
an external tape drive. Power can be run from the inside of the box via
an extender power cable. This is the cheap route. You could also get a
complete Everex tape drive system which includes all of the above hard-
ware in a nice box with a power supply for about $850.

I don't know the exact exchange rate between US and Canadian dollars,
but I doubt it is 3:1.

Good luck with your backup quest.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the