dump/restore

Bill Davidson billd at celerity.UUCP
Tue Oct 25 17:54:18 AEST 1988

I am trying to write tapes from Microport System V/AT (80286 yech!) and
I would like to use a format which can be read by BSD 4.3's dump/restore
programs (so that I can read my backups from a real computer).  I have
the source for dump/restore on Berkeley but it's very much bound to the
Berkeley file system and it appears that it would be rediculously difficult
to port.  The BSD man pages and the header files describe what the dump
headers look like but not really how a typical tape archive is written and
arranged.  I would appreciate any info from anyone who could give me a better
description of the arrangement of the data on the tape.  If anyone knows
of a public domain version of this progam that runs on System V/AT I
would also like to know of it.
	--Bill Davidson

P.S. Don't tell me to use tar or cpio.  That's what I do now and it is
     severely inadequate.