dump/restore

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Wed Oct 26 22:17:48 AEST 1988

In article <178 at celerity.UUCP> billd at celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) writes:
 >I am trying to write tapes from Microport System V/AT (80286 yech!) and
 >I would like to use a format which can be read by BSD 4.3's dump/restore
 >programs (so that I can read my backups from a real computer).  I have
 >the source for dump/restore on Berkeley but it's very much bound to the
 >Berkeley file system and it appears that it would be rediculously difficult
 >to port.

I'd be careful with that, anyway. I have run into problems with the dump format
being different on different machines, all running BSD.

Why not use TAR? or cpio or its public-domain brother afio? Both of these
options would be much more portable than dump.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD