SysV/386: db module not cofigured ???

Dave Remien dave at pmafire.UUCP
Mon Oct 3 07:53:35 AEST 1988

>From: betel at swivax.UUCP (Michiel Betel)

>After numerous reinstallations of sysV/386 U2.2 we got rid of an
>unexpected intterupt 0x4. This one occured at startup, gave a double Panic,
>entered the none existant db module and hung the system after dumping
>2516 pages of core. It seems it was caused by a buggy devicedriver for
>our multiport serial board, because since I've installed the new driver
>the problem is gone.
>This error message should really be documented, because the dump of registers
>generates beautiful patterns but is not very usefull.

Various articles posted to this newsgroup (I think by John Sully of
Microport), and discussed on the Microport BBS, show how to use the
panic dump to figure out where in the kernel the panic occurred. I once
had a beta kernel Microport sent which had the debug module; you could
wander around (albeit blindly, without documentation) in the kernel and
look at things. I agree that an explanation of how to determine where
the panic was caused should be in the Sys Admin documentation.