Can't backup to floppy

Steve Neighorn neighorn at qiclab.UUCP
Sun Oct 2 07:16:25 AEST 1988

In article <1443 at maccs.McMaster.CA> nusip at maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) writes:
>That reminds me.  Some time ago, somebody was going to dump the contents of
>the Bell Tech. controller ROMs and diff them against the Everex ROMs.
>Unfortunately, I changed jobs and moved at about that time, and with our
>Bell telco strike, my new phone jacks STILL haven't been installed and ...
>
>So, can somebody tell me how the ROMs compared??

I can't tell you how the ROM dumps compared, I can tell you my experience
with both controllers:

Under Microport V/386 Release 3.0 : Both the Bell board (which is the
Everex board EXCEPT for the ROM, and the original Everex 831 card
work with a Wangtek 60meg tape drive using the Microport supplied
tape driver software.

Under generic Unix/386 Release 3.1 : Both work with the standard tape driver
that comes with Unix.

My disclaimer: These are my experiences only. and do not represent a large
scientific sample of Unix/tape backup users. Sorry.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the