286: Why no core dump?

Johnnie Peters jsp at myth.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 13:18:28 AEST 1988

In article <456 at gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, brwk at doc.ic.ac.uk (Bevis King) writes:
> When the "Illegal allignment" message is issued, the program terminates
> (ok, fair enough), no core dump is generated (worrying) and the login
> shell terminates (very worrying indeed).
> Recompiling the program with "-g" to give hooks for sdb doen't help
> matters either; the program, sdb and the login shell all terminate.

I have seen this problem before also.  The answer to the unasked
question "How do I fix/work around this problem?"  is "Wait for 2.4,
maybe it is fixed in that."  2.4 is available from your customer rep
right now for $75.  A fix to the Software Development System is also
available for $99.

(Wes Peters posting from Johnnie's account on Johnnie's computer :-)