Igloopatch

Rolfe Tessem rolfe at w3vh.UUCP
Sat Oct 29 11:39:00 AEST 1988

In article <1071 at igloo.UUCP>, learn at igloo.UUCP (william vajk) writes:
> In article <364 at w3vh.UUCP>, rolfe at w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
>

> > At one time I too had a lot of double-panics; then one afternoon
> > I got a lightning surge which took out my serial card.  On
> > replacing it, everything worked great (these are just regular
> > dumb serial ports).
>
> I believe if you had read the entire article you might have understood
> what it was really about.

I certainly read the entire article and understood what it
was really about.  My point was simply that there are very
vanilla hardware configurations out here on which Microport
System V/AT works great.  That it didn't work well for you
is unfortunate, and I'm glad your fix worked out well.

To reiterate: my personal experience suggests that there is
a lot of flaky serial hardware floating around that causes
problems with Microport.  Some serial cards seem to work
fine; plug another one in and it's double panic city.  You
draw you own conclusions; personally, I haven't had a double
panic in months.

--
UUCP:         uunet!w3vh!rolfe 			| Rolfe Tessem
INTERNET:     rolfe at w3vh.uu.net			| P.O. Box 793