Igloopatch

Rolfe Tessem rolfe at w3vh.UUCP
Sat Oct 22 10:41:42 AEST 1988

In article <1058 at igloo.UUCP>, learn at igloo.UUCP (william vajk) writes:

> That darned serial driver problem under microport. Haven't we heard
> enough about it yet ?
>
> Not really.
>
> I waited a year after I got microport, and with some promise of a fixed
> driver, I ordered my upgrade to 2.2. The serial drivers were still damaged.
> Igloo would not maintain a newsfeed with other activity on the system. I
> tried a different serial card (recommended by microport) which didn't help.
> I received the newest latest and greatest driver, which was supposed to fix
> everything, it didn't.

As has pointed out in this newsgroup before, the serial port
thing seems to be very hardware-specific.  I run 2.3L and my
system has a 9600 baud newsfeed and does a lot of other
serial I/O (it's a 10Mhz AT clone).  It also runs unattended
for weeks at a time, and has not crashed in many months.
At one time I too had a lot of double-panics; then one afternoon
I got a lightning surge which took out my serial card.  On
replacing it, everything worked great (these are just regular
dumb serial ports).

Moral of the story: don't flame the software unless you're
absolutely sure it's not a hardware problem.
--
UUCP:         uunet!w3vh!rolfe 			| Rolfe Tessem
INTERNET:     rolfe at w3vh.uu.net			| P.O. Box 793