problems installing Archive tape driver

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 21:01:10 AEST 1988

In article <1505 at ssc.UUCP>, fyl at ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> Also, when you get it working, don't forget to pipe stuff thru strm,
> which has a man page on the system.  Good luck and if anyone knows
> what all the nodes in /dev/mt are, please let me know.

   Here are the node functions as per the documentation with the 2.3
Everex drivers:

			/dev/mt/rmt0  -  rewind the tape

			/dev/mt/rmt8  -  fast fwd to end, then rewind

			/dev/mt/rmt16 -  reset the tape controller

			/dev/mt/rmt64 -  erase the tape cartridge

   You also use the "tape" utility to accomplish some of this. Like if you
wanted to reset the controller you would simply issue the command
"echo o | tape /dev/mt/rmt16"  and re-tensioning a tape would be
"echo o | tape /dev/mt/rmt8".  Hope this helps you.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P