Problems with C compiler

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Sun Oct 2 06:15:59 AEST 1988

In article <1199 at gbmatl.UUCP>, gbm at gbmatl.UUCP (gary mckenney) writes:
> [..] I finally determined that
> this was caused by the size within the switch statement alone.
>
> Has anyone heard of similiar problems ?

I have seen similar problems in other compilers from other vendors (like even
on a cdc mainframe!) when the number and/or size of the code within the
switch/case statement exceeds some power of 2, for example, 32K or 64K or
something like that.  I think it had to do with generating local jumps within
the switch...  Also, if the absolute *range* of your cases is very large as
well, that can sometimes cause problems.

In any event, if it *is* because your code is too big, there should be a
relatively easy way to side step the issue, like use function calls, etc.  Of
course, its easy for me to say -- i'm not coding your application!

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain