AT&T 386 UNIX Vr3.1

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Fri Sep 2 21:29:01 AEST 1988

In article <178 at djs.UUCP> samperi at djs.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>|> I've used AT&T's C compiler under Sys V Rel. 2 on a 3B2/300 since before
>|> Microport existed, and it has NEVER caused the system to panic when I run
>|> trivial programs that do some floating point operations.
>|Nor does the Microport compiler.  ...
>I should have made it clear that I was speaking about their 286 compiler, for
>which they have admitted that it is a compiler bug, and they have given the
>work-around: "buy another vendor's C compiler."

Well, it is hardly fair to compare Uport's 286 compiler with AT&T's 3B2
offerings, or with ANYONE's offerings on the 386.

It is my understanding that System V/AT (including the C compiler, which
is AT&T's PCC) is a port done by ISC and Intel for AT&T, and that AT&T
certified it. Uport supposedly only added the drivers, just like for
their 386 product.

What I would be interested to know -- and am surprised that we don't hear more
from them -- is what people's experiences are like with AT&T's PC6300 Plus,
with UNIX -- this is a binary-compatible implementation of UNIX for AT&T's
286 machine, presumably derived from the same ISC/Intel port as Uport's
System V/AT.

What problems are there with it? With its floating point implementation?
With it's compiler? With its disk drivers and serial port drivers?

THAT would be comparing apples with apples!
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD