Microport SysV/AT

Jay Maynard jay at splut.UUCP
Mon Sep 19 00:34:47 AEST 1988

In article <5156 at netnews.upenn.edu> jes at eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
>2) This machine does not have much memory (1 Mb), how much sould I have as
>	a single user, without terminals?

I tried running on 1 meg for a while. It was S-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-W. It got
faster at 2.6 meg, and faster still at 4. Go spend money on memory.

>3) Does Microport use 80287 chip, if present?

Supposedly; I've never been able to tell, though, although I don't do
much floating point, either. I do have a 287 in my system. There were
some bugs on some versions of Microport with the 287; I don't recall the
particulars (though I just realized that this mey be causing the double
panics I've been having every 36-72 hours lately).

>4) The machine has a 70 Mb Miniscribe HD (28 ms).  Will this be large enough?

It should be, as long as you don't try to keep a full newsfeed around
for longer than about 5 days. News is BIG.

>5) What Gnu Software will run on this system? (Emacs, Gnu-C, Gnu-C++ etc?).

None. Stallman doesn't believe in supporting real-world personal
computers, and is heavily infected with "all the world's a VAX" and "if
it isn't at least 500K, it isn't worth anything".

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:       uunet!nuchat!           | adequately be explained by stupidity.