Need help with "ct" and TZ

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.SGI.COM
Sat Sep 17 12:55:52 AEST 1988

In article <471 at uport.UUCP>, jmsully at uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:
> To do this you would probably need to wrap uucico in a script which sets the
> TZ variable.  The TZ variable is normally set in /etc/profile.

The SVR3.0 version of init does not seem to check /etc/TIMEZONE.  I
thot it did and did it wrong, but now I can't find it at all.  The
SVR3.1 version does open /etc/TIMEZONE, parse the contents, and export
them for its children.  I don't know that the AT&T SVR3.1 version works
without change, but I do know that it is easy to make it work, and that
the change between SVR3.0 & SVR3.1 for this feature by itself is well
isolated.

One might have to check getty and login to ensure that they either parse
/etc/TIMEZONE or pass TZ.  The SVR3.0 version of login strips TZ (a bug),
while the SVR3.1 version passes TZ.

Both of these changes are ancient in older SV systems that were not overly
dogmatic about AT&T bug-compatibility.

So, for those of you with source (not me at home), presumably including
Microport, ...

Could Microport put new binaries in the bulletin board?

Vernon Schryver
vjs at sgi.com