Need help with "ct" and TZ

John Thornton thornton at wm6r.UUCP
Tue Sep 13 07:50:30 AEST 1988

I'm having trouble getting "ct" to work.  When I invoke ct with the
following command line:

ct -v -h -w3 -s1200 5261999

I see that a lock file /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..tty1 is created, but then it
never calls!  I have tried removing the LCK file but then ct makes a new
one about a minute later.

I get in the output log "nohup.out":

1 busy dialer at 1200 baud
Waiting for dialer
Dialer is busy (1 minute)
Dialer is busy (2 minutes)
Dialer is busy (3 minutes)
*** TIMEOUT ***

My questions: How does one use ct to call a terminal as specified in the
manual?

I am using HDB uucp that I got from John Sully a long time ago.  I have
modified it to work with a smarter modem but it still uses the Systems
file and Devices instead of L.sys and L-devices (as cu and ct do).
I'm real pleased with HDB but have been unable to figure out one thing:
When a system calls in for which I have the CALLBACK option set, the uulog
entries are in EST instead of PST!  All outgoing uucp stuff has the correct
time zone.  I know about environment variable TZ, is there some way to set
it globally?  It seemd to default to EST.

ucbvax!ucscc!wm6r!thornton