Support versus Bug Fixes (Was: Can't backup to floppy)

Scott Turner scotty at l5comp.UUCP
Mon Sep 26 23:02:55 AEST 1988

In article <277 at belltec.UUCP> dar at belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
>I don't like this sort of thing either (continuing royalties on compiler
>use, etc), but it *is* their property.  Are you going to have the "audacity"
>to try to tell people what they should do with copies of your next book?  How
>will you feel if someone buys a copy of your book, and then reprints it for
>commercial sale?  How about if some schlock, no-name, non-accredited,
>advertise-on-the-back-of-a-match-book, correspondance school
>starts selling video tapes of you doing your Japanese business history thing
>that were taken by one of *your* students, who duly signed up and attended
>*your* lectures?

Not a fair comparison I'd say. More closely matching would be to ask the man
what he'd think of those readers of his book using what they learned from
it to make a pile of money. Should they cut him in since they would never
have made it with out his help (through his book)?

As for the taping issue, I'm pretty sure that's already covered by the college
in the fine print you sign your life away on when you register. Besides,
wouldn't you rather cut him in so that you can get him fresh rather than
having him crawl in exhausted, with blood shot eyes, and slurred speach after a
hard night with 3 frosh co-eds and a Stroh's 36 Pak? :-)

>Dimitri Rotow     [Steve Dyer and I have agreed to change places this week

Scott Turner
scotty at l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty