kill system call (was: Re: Buggy UUCP)

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Sun Sep 25 00:15:22 AEST 1988

In article <430 at pigs.UUCP>, haugj at pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) wrote:

> uuclean should still be set to remove LCK.. files that are more than
> a few hours old so that LCK..<system> files will be deleted if they
> are abandoned.

uuclean should *>NOT<* remove LCK files unless the locking process is
no longer active.  "a few hours" is certainly not long enough to
ensure that the original process has gone away - I've had uucico
sessions last upwards of eight hours (during news floods).  If uuclean
removes an active LCK and the remote's uuclean does likewise, you're
quite likely to have a second set of uucico's start up a second
session, resulting in duplicate mail or news and a probable ASSERT
error once the two uucico's start removing each other's [CD]. files.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen	...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james	"Live Free or Die"
Phone: 512-346-2444		  10926 Jollyville Rd #901 Austin TX 78759