Unix Release 3.1 (was: new groups for iX86 unix)

Bill.Stewart.[ho95c] wcs at skep2.ATT.COM
Sun Sep 4 03:31:49 AEST 1988

In article <828 at vsi.UUCP> sullivan at vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
:In article <1611 at qiclab.UUCP>, neighorn at qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) writes:
:> Another piece of bad news in the "I Want It All" department - The DOS
:> under Unix product VP/ix is mutually exclusive with X-Windows 10.4.
:Is this for 386's as well?  Then, it naturally follows, when Open Look
:comes out on AT&T's 6386 we won't be able to run VP/ix with it?  Sheez!

AT&T doesn't sell an X10.4 product.  The System V 3.2 for 386s will
have X11.2 (don't know if it's included or extra).  If the vendors you
got VP/ix and X10.4 from (Bell Tech??) don't work together, beat up on
them.  Actually, I'm not totally surprised - X wants to own the screen,
and VP/IX wants to parcel the screen out to DOS clones, and short of
running DOS in X windows, it's not obvious what a good solution is.
--
#Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# Now I don't mean to insult the intelligence of the younger people here,